Exam Centres in Wales
These exam centres have either taken external candidates in the past, or have indicated that they would consider it.
Please feel free to add or edit information - we rely on the home-ed community to keep this up to date. It's easiest to edit if you create a Wikia account first, but you could also just leave a comment below and we'll add any centres mentioned to the main list.
South Wales Edit
GCSEs, with controlled assessments, and IGCSEs. Cost of sitting an IGCSE is approx. £100 per subject (exam fee plus invigilation of £20 per hour).
Edexcel and WJEC. Waiting to hear if they can use AQA (as of May 2016 they are not using AQA as AQA require a fee of £900 to register and this cannot be recouped from the small number of students that use this center)
Rosemary, who runs it, is very pro-HE and will look at all sorts of ideas to see if they can be accommodated. The plan is to add things like ECDL and BETECs if it can be done.
Courses to lead up to exams are run for regular attenders and distance learners.
Candidates can be entered as internal rather than external but would mean they would need to attend some study sessions and not be registered at another centre. This does, however, open up the chance of GCSEs which are not normally available to private candidates e.g. Food Tech and Child Development
Pembrokeshire College – Haverfordwest
Private Candidates for GCSE , IGCSE and A-level exams including the new Science Practical Endorsement Workshops (5 days) including Access Arrangements + Examination Support
Exam fees of £60 per paper for IGCSEs, GCSEs, A-levels.
Cover all examination boards AQA, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC, Cambridge International.
Online “self-paced study” courses for IGCSE and A-levels in most subjects with support of a dedicated course tutor, examination preparation and UCAS application support if required.
Online “Live School” courses for IGCSE and A-level available in most subjects including A-level Computer Science with support of a dedicated course tutor, examination preparation and UCAS application support if required.
Our experience has been of homework marked and returned within 3-4 hours for A-Level Physics and Maths.
Contact: Matthew Norman – firstname.lastname@example.org 01437 753 191
Swansea sixth form College - £150 per GCSE
St Claire's, Porthcawl - various prices - one off annual admin fee of £50 & invigilator cost per hour & exam cost of approx £50.
* 3A Tutors Bristol £150 per GCSE - can be useful for MFL and computer science IGCSE. http://www.3at.org.uk/
* Bridgend College -I think approx about £75 per GCSE - best to check with exam officer. AQA, IGCSE EDEXCEL, WJEC. http://www1.bridgend.ac.uk/
- West Monmouth School - Pontypool
External candidates can sit WJEC, AQA and Edexcel. They have previously used OCR and City and Guilds and still are able to offer exams through these boards.
The price of exams vary with different board and level of exam. They range from £7.60 up to £28.70.
Contact person is Soosie Watson at <a href="tel:01495 762080">01495 762080</a>.
Central Wales Edit
Interhigh - this was approved as an independent exam centre earlier this year, so this year's entrants will be the pioneers for the Home Education Community at this centre. IGCSE & A Level mostly EdExcel Board.
School Office, InterHigh Education Lewis Parry House Elvicta Estate Crickhowell NP8 1DF
Tel. 44 (0)1873 813900 Fax. 44 (0)8709 127314 Email. email@example.com
Newtown - Coleg Powys
Do IGCSEs at least. Very accommodating.
North Wales Edit
- Ruthin School, Ruthin. Take a small number of IGCSE candidates yearly and happy to accommodate various papers. Check A levels. Apply early.
- Coleg Cambria, Wrexham, accept external students as long as exams are self contained and do not require a controlled assessment or coursework etc. Although I was only enquiring about the Wrexham college, I see no reason as to why they wouldn't offer it at their other colleges.
- Conway - Conway Education Centre Do at least IGCSE Eng Lang spec A
- The Marches does not accept external candidates.
- Moreton School, The Howells in Denbigh and Ellesmere College don't take external candidates.
- Oswestry - Oswestry School - Doesn't accept external candidates as a rule.